|Places to See|
- Bangahon Baluarte
- Bangahon Ruins
- Gandara River
- Gandara was formerly located in a place called Bangahon (or Bangajon) near the right fork of the Gandara River
- Iit was made into a visita in 1780
- Gandara was made into a separate municipality in 1800.
- In 1902, the town was transferred to Dumalo-ong and renamed after Spanish Gov.Gen. Jose de la Gandara y Navarro (1866-1869). Gandara then consisted of its present territory and that of the barrios of Bangon, Pagsanghan, San Luis, Pangui and Calaniogan (now in Tarangnan).
- On October 11, 1979, San Jorge was separated and created into a new municipality.
|This inland municipality is the rice granary of the province.|
- Area (sq. kms.): 432.8
- Population (2000): 28,866 Gandarareños
- No. of Barangays: 69
- Income Class: Third
- District: First
- Zip Code: 6706
- Area Code: 055
|How to Get There|
Distances (Gandara to):
- Catbalogan City: 42 kms.
- Calbayog City: 30 kms.
- Tacloban City (Leyte): 145 kms. (2.5 hrs.)
- September 29 (Karabaw Festival, St. Michael the Archangel) - this festival honors the carabao, its most useful animal.
- Gandara District Hospital - (25 beds)