|Roxas is a small port, regional trading center and mining center that provides 90% of the silica requirements of the country. |
|Places to See|
- The 150-m. high New Rizal Waterfalls, in Brgy. Dumarao, is located 26 kms. from the town.
- Coco-Loco Island, also called Flat Reef Island, is a 1-hr.boat ride from the town and is surrounded by a coral reef.
- Exotic Island is a 45-min. boat ride from the town.
- Green Island, a 1-hr. boat ride from the town, has a former sea weed farm. It has a reef 20 kms. in circumference. Diving season is April to October.
- Stanlake Island, a 30-min. boat ride from the town, is also called Tabon Island because it is the nesting site of Tabon birds (Megapodius freycinet cumingii) which build mounds with their feet.
- Roxas was first settled in 1919 by loggers from Cagayancillo who decided to settle there.
- After World War II, the discovery of a vast quantity of silica (used for the manufacture of bottles) by San Miguel Corporation started the rapid population increase.
- It was formerly a part of Puerto Princesa City
- Roxas became a separate municipality on May 15, 1951 by virtue of Republic Act No. 615.
- Area (sq. kms.):1,888
- Population (2000): 47,242
- No. of Barangays:31
- Income Class:First
- District: First
- Zip Code:5308
- Area Code: 048
|Where to Stay|
- Coco-Loco Island Resort, a Class "A" resort on Coco-Loco Island, has non-air-con cottages with (PhP700-790) or without (PhP400-500) baths, restaurant, dive shop, indoor sports (billiards and table tennis) and offers diving, windsurfing, waterskiing and paddleboating. Puerto Princesa City booking office: Palawan Tourist Travel and Tours Agency, Rizal Ave.. Tel: 433-3877 & 433-2990 loc. 6000. Fax: 433-2388, 433-3554 & 433-2894.
- Gemalain's Lodging House, located by the market, has non-air-con single/double rooms with (PhP250) or without (PhP150-200) bath and a restaurant.
- Rover’s Pension, located near the bus station, has non-air-con single (PhP200) and double (PhP450) rooms with common bath, air-con single/double rooms with bath (PhP650) and a restaurant.
- Retac Garden and Beach Resort, located 3 kms. north of the town, has non-air-con rooms and cottages with bath (PhP250 to PhP575) and a restaurant. Manila reservation office: tel: ( 632) 804-0331.
- Tindog Beach Resort, at Sitio Malpal, Brgy. Tinitian, has non-air-con rooms with common bath and picnic huts.
- Dona Nela’s Pension House (PhP300-350, cel: 0919-3603354)
- Emirose Pension (PhP300-600, cel: 0919-343-2676 & 0919-5743475)
- En-jay’s Pension House (PhP150-400, cel: 0919-8104286).
|How to Get There|
Distances (Roxas to:)
- Puerto Princesa City: 142 kms. (3-4 hrs., jeepneys)
- San Vicente: 2-3 hrs. (jeepneys)
- Port Barton (San Vicente): jeepneys
- Roxas: (jeepneys, Royale Bus)
- May 14-15 (St. Isidore the Farmer)