Towns and Cities
         
BANATE
Places to See
  • The town’s present stone and wood Church of St. John the Baptist was built in 1870 by Fr. Eustaquio Torres and has one main nave and two aisles.  Fr. Santos built the convent in 1883.
  • Spanish-era houses in town include the Bacabac Residence, located within the town plaza, and the Villaruel Residence, located along the National Highway, near the Public Market.
  • Ninoy Aquino Park was completed in 1990 through the help of the Philippine Tourism Authority.
  • The Somboryo, in Brgy. Carmelo, was part of a sugar mill producing muscobado during the Spanish era.
  • A lighthouse is located at Brgy. Salvador.
  • Caniapasan Falls, in Brgy. Managopaya, is located 13 kms. from the town proper.
Brief History
  • Banate was formerly called Bobob (or possibly Bog-og)
  • It was founded as a visita of Barotac Viejo
  • Banate was made into an independent parish in 1763 with the visita of Sinibaan
  • It was later annexed, due to population decrease, to Dumangas and later to Barotac Nuevo.
  • Banate finally became independent in 1843.
  • The town’s name was said to have been derived from the banate trees which grew abundantly in the area.
General Information
  • Area (sq. kms.): 118.86
  • Population (2000): 27,263
  • No. of Barangays: 18
  • Income Class: Fourth
  • District: Fourth
  • Zip Code: 5010
  • Area Code: 033
Where to Stay
  • Hibotcan Beach Resort
How to Get There

Distances (Banate to:)

  • Iloilo City: 53.73 kms.
Festivals
  • June 24 (St. John the Baptist)
Spotlight

 

 

Banate Church of St. John the Baptist

 

Banate Church of St. John the Baptist


  

Login




Forgot login?
Register