|Places to See|
- The town’s present stone Church of St. Augustine and convent was started by Franciscan Fr. Geronimo Hervas in 1804 and finished in 1864 by Fr. Pedro Moya. Its roofing was destroyed by the 1880 earthquake and its restoration was started by Fr. Jesus Liilo in 1884 and finished by Fr. Celestino de los Huertos in 1889. Both church and convent were destroyed during World War II and it was reconstructed in 1953 by Fr. Alejan Vermorel. On its left is a four-storey belltower.
- Gintong Talulot (meaning “golden petals”), in Brgy. Dila, the only orchid farm in town, is an emporium of prized vandas (including the showy, all year round Josephine Van Brero or JVB and the endemic waling-waling) and denbrobiums (including the indigenous sanggumay).
- A turnoff on the highway to Sto. Tomas (Batangas), a few kilometers west of Alaminos, leads to, via the Gen. San Luis Road (also called the Geothermal Road), to the 560-hectare, 370-MW MAKBAN (Makiling-Banahaw) Geothermal Project in Brgy. Bitin, the largest geothermal plant in the country. Its Geothermal Viewing House, a gazebo cut into mountain, offers a panoramic view of Alaminos.
- This old Franciscan mission town was founded in 1578
- Bay was the first provincial capital (until 1688).
- First administered by Augustinians, its administration was transferred to the Franciscans in 1737.
- The town's name was said to have been derived from the word bay (or bai or bae), a Malay word of respect. According to legend, when the Augustinian missionaries arrived to the town, its chieftain, Datu Pangil, willingly converted to Christianity. He also had three daughters baptized and renamed as Maria Basilisa, Maria Angela and Maria Elena. He then took the first letters from their second names and renamed the town Bae. Over the years Bae became Bai and finally Bay.
|Location and Topography|
Bay is bounded on the north by Laguna de Bay; on the west by Los Banos; on the east by Calauan; on the southwest by Sto. Tomas (Batangas) and on the south by Alaminos and Calauan.
- Area (sq. kms.): 42.66
- Population (2010): 55,698
- No. of Barangays: 15 (2 urban)
- Income Class: Second
- District: Second
- Zip Code: 4033
- Area Code: 049
|Where to Dine|
Along the National Highway in Brgy. Dila are food hawkers selling exotic meats such as river snails, tikling birds, native ducks and pricey pythons or sawa (its blood is considered as an aphrodisiac by Chinese), all coming from the rivers, forests and rice fields of Laguna and Quezon.
|Where to Stay|
- Ayana's Resort - Brgy. Dila
- Christian Resort - Asiaville Subd., Brgy. Masaya
- Escover Private Pool - Brgy. Sto. Domingo
- Grand Villa – Brgy. Tranca
- Goshen Place Resort - 1950 Brgy. Puypuy
- Los Baños Forest Club - Brgy. Puypuy
- Maria Luisa Resort 1, 2, 3 - Sitio Sampalucan, Asiaville Subd., Brgy. Masaya
- Maspeth Family Resort - Brgy. Maitim
- MJK Place Resort - Brgy. Bitin
- Riceview Agro Resort - Asiaville Subd., Brgy. Masaya
- Rontess Fantacy Resort - Lakeshore Subd., Sto. Domingo
- Royal Palm Resorts, in Purok 3, Brgy. Puypuy, has airconditioned rooms with bath, private house with pool, fellowship hall, lecture/dining hall, two large swimming pools, Jacuzzi, children’s playground, picnic huts, aviary, multi-purpose covered court, indoor sports (billiards, darts, table tennis) and basketball/volleyball court. Tel: 249-3977. Manila booking office: 1 Talumpong St., Mandaluyong City. Tel: 533-0693. Fax: (632) 535-0309.
- Tesoro's Farm - Brgy. Puypuy
- Villa Elena Resort - Asiaville Subd., Brgy. Masaya
|Where to Shop|
The town is known for its 29 varieties (including hybrids) of bougainvillas (grown in over 250 nurseries in Brgys. Maitim and Calo), cutflowers, fruit trees and decorative plants sold at commercial gardens lining 2 kms. on both sides of the National Highway in Brgy. Tila.
|How to Get There|
Distances (Bay to):
|Tourist Information Center|
- Mayor's Office - Municipal Hall (tel: 536-0195)
- Pagamutang Pangmasa ng Laguna (25 beds) - Brgy. Maiitim (tel: 536-0061 & 536-2574)
- Mercogene Pharmacy & Gen. Mdse. - 92 J. Tanalega St., Brgy. San Nicolas