Towns and Cities
         
ABUYOG
Places to See
  • The Church of St. Francis Xavier was first built with nipa, wood and bamboo in 1718 by the Jesuits.  Fr. José Herrera and Cipriano Barbasan restored the church and convent, as well as, the school and Casa Real.  The Augustinians took over the church’s supervision in 1768 after it was rebuilt. The church’s design was changed in 1781 to conform with the architecture of Roman Renaissance. A more durable church and convent of masonry was later built, with a galvanized iron roof and wooden floor.  In 1965, the church was renovated when an extension was built at the center of the church through the effort of Msgr. Luis D. Caintic who also facilitated in the construction of the new bell tower.
  • The Kuapnit Balinsasayao National Park, along the Mahaplag-Baybay Rd., is a 364-hectare campsite located between Abuyog and Baybay.  It offers a wide panorama of primeval forests, rolling hills with many attractive picnic spots, caves and a view of Mt. Lobi.
  • Layog River (Brgy.Balinsasayao)
  • Waterfalls are located in Brgys. Balinsasayao, Katipunan and Nebga.
  • The 7-m. high, 10-tiered Malaguicay Falls, in Brgy. Malaguicay, has a 3-m. deep pool. From Tab-ok Port, take a 20-min. motorized boat ride to Brgy. Malaguicay along the Higasaan River and then a 20-min. hike to the waterfalls.
  • Caves are found in Brgys. Balocawehay (along the highway), Nebga (Higasaan) and Tib-o (Dagat Area).
  • The 0.5-hectare Cagbolo Hot Spring (Brgy. Cagbolo)
  • Danghol Hill (Brgy. San Isidro)
  • Veterans Monument
Brief History
  • According to an old story, Spanish sailors landed at an early settlement at the mouth of the Abuyog River to replenish their supplies. All over the shore were swarms of bees. The Spaniards asked the natives what the black creatures were and the reply was “buyog.” Repeating after the natives, the sailors muttered, “Ah! Buyog.” From then on, the settlement was named as Abuyog.
  • A revolt in 1588, against the Spanish encomendero of Abuyog is recorded
  • Long before the Jesuits began evangelizing Leyte. Capt. Juan Esguerra had to send a punitive force to chastise the assassins of the encomendero.
  • In 1613, Sanguils and Caragas plundered the village and it was not until 1655, that the Jesuits began a permanent mission in Abuyog dependent on Dagami.
  • It was made into an independent parish in 1716 with Franciscan Fr. Santiago Malonda as the first parish priest.  St. Francis Xavier was made titular patron.
  • The Augustinians took over in 1768 but in 1843 the town was turned over to the Franciscans.
  • A horse path was opened between Abuyog and Dulag in 1851. The period 1901 to 1906 was notable for the notorious pulahanes attacks. The municipal building was razed.
  • Abuyog's progress took greater strides with the inauguration of the first passenger bus service in 1925.
  • In 1936, the Baybay-Abuyog road was inaugurated the, thus linking for the first time, by good road, the eastern and western coasts of Leyte.
  • At the outbreak of World War II, Abuyog became a Japanese-occupied area.
  • On October 13, 1942, the Japanese abandoned the town due to guerilla pressure.
  • They came back on November 26, 1943, much stronger this time, yet they suffered heavy losses in the hands of the guerillas.
  • On July 14, 1944, the submarine Nautilus landed in Brgy.San Roque, to unload 72 tons of much-needed weapons and ammunition, food and propaganda materials for the Leyte and Samar guerillas.
  • Japanese forces deserted the town before the American landing.
Location and Topography

Abuyog is bordered, on one end, by a large river and, inland, by long mountain ranges covered with dense forests.  It is bounded to the north by Javier, to the east by Mahaplag and Baybay City and to the south by Silago and Sogod, both in Southern Leyte.

General Information
  • Area (sq. kms.):688.25  (the largest coastal town on the eastern coast of Leyte)
  • Population (2010): 57,146 Abuyognons
  • No. of Barangays: 63
  • Income Class: Second
  • District: Fifth
  • Zip Code:6510
  • Area Code: 053
Where to Dine
  • Judge Bar (Brgy. Victory)
  • Winsphil Restaurant (Brgy. Buntay)
Where to Stay

  • The local government-run Abuyog Hotel, at Avenido St. cor. La Revolution, Brgy. Loyonsayang, n front of the municipal hall, has 21 airconditioned rooms with bath, minibar and cable TV (standard, executive, superior suite, executive suite, PhP2,200-3,294), restaurant (Lola Seding's), 80-150-pax function hall (Buyogan Hall) and offers transportation, tours and babysitting services.  Tel: 334-4352.
  • Florina Country Lodge (Brgy. Guintagbucan)
Dialects

About 68% of the townspeople speak the Waray dialect,  38% Cebuano and the rest Tagalog, Ilonggo and others.

How to Get There

Distances (Abuyog to:)

  • Tacloban City: 61.62 kms. (30 mins. to 1 hr.)
Festivals
  • August 29 (Buyog-Buyogan, St. Francis Xavier) - this cultural and historical pageant depicts the name of the town of Abuyog (bee) through body painting and costume competition.
Medical Assistance
  • Abuyog District Hospital (75 beds) - Bunga (tel: 334-2217)
Drugstores

  • Generika Drugstore - Maharlika Highway, Brgy. Bito
  • Generika Drugstore - 37 Real St., Brgy. Nalibunan

Spotlight
Veterans Monument

  

Login




Forgot login?
Register

Recent Posts