GENERAL INFORMATION (ILOCOS NORTE)
- The cool and clear, 20-km. long Bulu River, originating from the town, makes its way through the town proper and gathers volume as it makes its way out to Pagudpud. It is ideal for swimming and white water rafting
- Around the town are a number of suspension bridges (the longest spanning about 50 m.
- Maligligay Falls, a short 25-min. hike along Maligligay provncial road, has two tiers; the upper tier 7 m. high, with a basin of about 4m., and a lower tier approximately 12 m. high with a basin of about 3m.
- The Y-shaped, 10 Mareprep Falls, cascading from Mt. Palemlem (Pico De Loro), has a 5 m. wide basin and is a 2.5-hr. trek from Baset Bridge.
- The 2-tiered Inuwayan Falls, a 30-min. trek (including crossing two hanging bridges and lots of streams), has a 7 m. high upper tier with a 2 m. wide basin, and a 5 m. high lower tier with a 2 m. wide basin.
- The 8 m. high Cabacan Falls, a 45-min. trek from Poblacion, has a 5 m. wide basin.
- The 6 m. high Anat Falls, a 45-min. trekking from the Poblacion, has a 3 m. wide basin.
- The 2-tiered Anuplig Falls, a 2.5-km. (1.5-hr.) hike from the Poblacion, is considered the “premier falls” of the area. Its 12m. high upper tier has a 7 m wide basin while its 2 m. high lower tier has a 2 m. wide basin.
- The 2-tiered Aki Falls, a 40-min. trek from Malaggao, has an 18 ft. high lower level with a 22 ft. wide pool, and 55 ft. high upper level with a 28 ft. wide pool.
- The 2-tiered Kanayupan Falls, a 1.5-hr. trek from Malaggao proper, has an 18 ft. high lower tier with a 15 ft. wide pool and a 63 ft. high upper tier with a 45 ft. wide pool. Nearby is a bat cave.
- The 21 ft. high Abbas Falls, a 1-hr. trek from Malaggao, has an 8.84 m. (29 ft.) wide pool.
- The Church of St. Andrew and St. Joseph, the town's compelling landmark, was first built around 1700 and 1706, was damaged during the 1709 earthquake and was restored in 1868. The church was again damaged during the July 18, 1880, 1931, 1944, November 22, 1981 and September 7, 1983 (which destroyed the Baroque-style façade) earthquakes. It has a collection of ecclesiastical silver and pewter, plus church records dating back to 1702. The adjacent L-shaped convent can be reached by steps from the nave. The 1983 earthquake also caused the complete collapse of its square bell tower.
- The three-level, Spanish-era municipal hall, also called the presidencia, has an odd Baroque-style façade.
- Other Spanish and American-era structures include an old but well-preserved tabacalera (tobacco storage house), an old Spanish-era, brick schoolhouse and a Gabaldon-type schoolhouse
- Within the town are a number of American-era houses among which are the ochre Peralta House, the 1930s Arturo H. Castro House beside it, the Lazo Residence (the oldest in the town) west of the plaza and the 1920s Andres Paredes House.
- Outside the town proper, along Natba Beach (Brgy. Natba), is the circular, partially ruined Spanish-era Vijia Watchtower.
- Calioet Libong Beach (Brgy. Calioet-Libong).
- The stone and brick Church of St. John the Baptist, located in front of a walled plaza and beside a ruined convent, was first built from 1714 to 1722, repaired in 1878, damaged during the 1885 earthquake and repaired from 1888 to 1898. It was again damaged in 1913, its roof replaced with galvanized iron in 1930 but was destroyed in 1931. The church was spared during the Japanese occupation but was slightly damaged during the September 7, 1983 earthquake. The 1989 earthquake destroyed one entire section as well as several of the buttresses. It housed, since 1620, the delicately hand-painted wooden image of La Virgen Milagrosa de Badoc, the patroness of the Diocese of Laoag. The church also has a four-storey, sober-looking, hexagonal bell tower and a stone and red brick convent (now a school) accessed, from the outside, by a wide brick staircase.
- Other Spanish-era structures include pugones (flue-curing barns where tobacco is processed), a watchtower (Lingsay Watchtower) and two bridges.
- The Juan Luna Shrine and Museum, cor. Rizal and Naidas St., a short distance from the central plaza, is a restored two-storey colonial house of clay brick and molave wood where Juan Luna was born. Restored in 1977, it is currently a museum under the care of the National Historical Institute. It houses Luna's memorabilia and 19th century colonial furniture. Outside is a bronze statue of Juan Luna done by National Artist Abdulmari A. Imao.
- The town also has a number of American-era houses, among which are the Rubio Residence (cor. Calaycay and Mabini St.), west of the town, the Julio Reyes Residence (the oldest in the town) along Rizal St. (next to the Juan Luna Shrine and east of the plaza) and, across the street, the well-preserved Arzadon Residence.
- The uninhabited Badoc Island is ideal for camping, surfing and scuba diving.
- The Church of St. Lawrence the Martyr, probably burned by rebels in 1660, was damaged during the July 18, 1880 and 1891 earthquakes and its front was totally destroyed during the Japanese occupation but was recently restored. The church was again damaged during the September 7, 1983 earthquake.
- The convent, first built in stone and wood in 1829, was entirely rebuilt in brick and stone in 1877 and partially raised from the ground.
- The Church of San Jose Ruins, in Sitio Garadugod, Brgy. Taguipuro, was the site of the Bambang mission. The banks of the Bambang and Baruyen Rivers also converge near here.
- The American-era Mata-Garvida House, said to have been built in 1923, was a military garrison during the Japanese occupation.
- The electricity-generating but environment-friendly Windmill Farm, along Bangui Bay, is the first wind power plant in Southeast Asia. Consisting of 15 70-m. high NEG Micon NM 82 wind turbines and 82-m. diameter rotors powered by winds coming mostly from north-northeast, it is rated at 1.65 MW each and has a total installed capacity of 24.75 MW.
- The enchanting, two-tiered Abang Falls, in Brgy. Abang, 2 kms. from national road, has surrounding fern-covered boulders and cliffs
- Bamban Lake abounds in fish and crocodiles.
- The Bangui View Deck, along the Baruyen Zigzag Road, has a restaurant. It affords a panoramic view of the town, farms, estuaries, the mountains and Bangui Bay.
- Sentinela Hill, in Brgy. San Lorenzo, has a commanding view of the town’s layout and coastline, Pagudpud and the hills of Burgos.
- Bulu River
- Suacan Mineral Spring