GENERAL INFORMATION (MINDORO OCCIDENTAL)
ABRA DE ILOG
- Hanuno'o Mangyan settlement (Camrang Reservation)
- Brgy. Cabacao, along the road to Mamburao, is the starting point for the 8-hr., difficult trek to Luyang Baga Cave. A trek for experienced spelunkers only, you should bring SRT (single rope technique) equipment as well as all other essential equipment (food, fuel, batteries, etc.). The cave is dangerous to explore during the rainy season. Visit between November to May. The rugged and wild trek to the cave, an adventure in itself, entails 21 crossings (in sometimes chest-deep waters), of the Hulong Tugilan River. Located near a major fork in the river, the entrance can be found by using guides from the Mangyan settlement near Brgy. Cabacao (they, however, won't accompany you inside). The cave, explored for 1.5 kms. before 1995, has white crystalline floors and walls, several deep pools of crystal-clear water (with cave diving potential), still unexplored vertical pits leading to deeper passages, unexplored narrow horizontal passages, interesting speleothems, numerous gaur pools and guano (bat droppings) deposits. Pottery shards found at the opening, dated to 200 BC, indicates its use as a prehistoric shelter. The explored cave portion is a 7-hr. expedition.
- At a bend of Anahawin river called Montangcob Point, in Brgy. Poypoy, is a house-size boulder resting on the river bed, like an island. Etched on the side of the boulder is what is, clearly a skeletal impression of a snake. The boulder may be millions of years old.
- The 904-m. high Tusk Peak is located 23.7 kms. from the town proper
- Lumintao River
- The 28-sq. km., 755-m. high, circular-shaped and hilly Ambil Island, located east of Lubang Island, was the scene of a Spanish naval victory over the Dutch in 1646. It has white sand beaches and is a favorite fishing ground for anglers crossing from Nasugbu (Batangas). It is a 1-hr. boat ride from Tilik pier.
- Besay Falls, located near a white sand beach in Ambil Island, is a series of waterfalls cascading into a 5-m. diameter basin. It is a 20-min. walk from Brgy. Tambo.
- The narrow, 18-sq. km. Golo Island is located south of Lubang. Brgy. Bulacan is its main settlement.
- Lubang Island is a good wreck dive site. Offshore is the wreck of the Spanish galleon San Jose, the largest of her day. She sank in a severe storm in 1694 off Lubang after departing from Mariveles (Bataan). She was said to be carrying an incredible fortune. Her hull lies in relatively shallow water, while one of the huge anchors rests in deeper waters nearby. Pieces of Chinese Ming porcelain, earthenware and wooden and metal fragments from her ballast stones were found. South of the San Jose is the wreck of an unknown vessel. Brass sheeting, nails and spikes, but no porcelain, were found. It's surmised that the ship was not coming from Manila. Diving season is March to June and jump-off point is Calatagan (Batangas).
- Malavatuan Island is located 3 kms. northeast of Ambil Island. It has a gradually sloping seabed and there are 12-18-m. deep shoals to the east of the island. The coral is mediocre but the fishlife is impressive. There are numerous crayfish and big sharks, including tigers, as well as other large fish can be found.
- The white sand Binacas Beach, in Brgy. Binacas, 18 kms. south of the town, has good snorkeling on the south shore.
- Offshore from the town and northwest of Lubang Island is the flat, barren and rocky Cabra Island. It has a Spanish-era lighthouse, golden hued sandy beaches on the southwestern part, magnificent rock formations along the east coast and is a favorite sportfishing ground for local and foreign anglers. It is a 30-min. boat ride from Brgy. Tagbac. The island is also the site of a pilgrimage on March 25 to commemorate the Blessed Virgin's miraculous apparition to seven children here in the early 1960s. Tilik has a good beach and a campsite.
- Hulagaan Waterfalls, a series of waterfalls leading to a stony beach, is a 1-hr. boat ride from Brgy. Tagbac and a 20-min. trek.
- Kono Beach, in Brgy. Vigo, southeast of the town, has good surf and numerous coral fish and big lobsters found offshore.
- Tagbac Beach, in Brgy. Tagbac, is located 7 kms. from the town and a 20-min. jeepney ride. It has a palm-fringed, 5-km. long and gradually sloping white sand beach.